YouTube black screen is perhaps the most commonly reported issue when it comes to the biggest video content platform. Support forums and discussion threads are full of discussions regarding this issue and possible solutions. So we decided to find the reasons for this problem and come up with effective solutions. As you can guess, the YouTube videos black screen issue can be caused by many reasons. Sometimes it's your connection, and sometimes your computer, that's the problem. In this article, however, we have a detailed tutorial on what to do if the video shows a black screen.
7 Proven Ways To Fix YouTube Black Screen Problem
Reasons why you are having YouTube black screen issue
Before we talk about the detailed issues and workarounds, let's check out the main reasons.
- You use a poor internet connection and unstable.
- There is a problem with the rendering of Adobe Flash Player or HTML5 Player.
- Your web browser is full of cached content.
- You are trying to watch YouTube content with access narrow ou sensitive.
- You use extensions blocking ads that disrupt YouTube reading.
- There is a problem with the YouTube page itself.
- You have logged into your YouTube account!
- You use a obsolete version of web browser.
- There is a problem with the your browser settings.
As you can see, not all of these problems are problems in themselves. For example, logging into a YouTube account is a common thing. But, sometimes they can also cause this annoying problem. Now that you have an idea, let's go over the main problems and come up with some viable solutions.
You are using a bad and unstable internet connection
If you see a black screen instead of video content, you need to check the internet connection. If YouTube is unable to deliver video content from the server, you will only see a black screen. It is not always due to a lack of connection. Even small problems in the network can cause a black screen problem.
Solution: Reset your router / modem or try to connect to a different network.
If the problem persists, you can try the following methods.
- Refresh the page YouTube and see if theblack screen disappeared.
- Try to load other web pages to see if this is a general problem.
- Reset your router / modem for a possible solution.
- Try to connect to a different network and see if the problem is still there.
- Ask your service provider if they are limiting the speed.
Your web browser has a lot of cached content
The abundance of cached content can sometimes cause YouTube videos to crash. If you've been watching a lot of stuff on YouTube lately, this is probably the reason. FYI, overfilling the cache is the root cause of other browser related issues like slowing PC down.
Solution: Clear the browser cache and temporary files.
This solution is simple, but you can use different methods to achieve it.
You need to clear your browser cache. However, we recommend that you erase all temporary browser files. To do this, you can try the following steps in Google Chrome.
- Access the options of Chrome> Other tools> Clear browsing data.
- You can also press Ctrl + Shift + Del or Cmd + Shift + Del.
- In the page that appears, choose the Advanced tab.
- In the menu, select Cached images and files and whatever you want to erase.
- Click on the button Erase data and reload the video you were watching.
You can follow the corresponding steps for your browser. Almost all web browsers in the world allow clearing cache / temporary contents. By the way, if you want better cleaning, you can use third-party software like CCleaner.
You are using an Ad-Blocker extension
In order to get rid of those long ads, you might be using third-party extensions. These extensions may be the reason for the problem of youtube black screen which doesn't work, especially if you use custom whitelists. In case you didn't know, the famous AdBlock for Chrome ad blocker has a little bug that causes the screen to black.
Solution: Whitelist YouTube.com.
You need to fix some things in AdBlock settings to remove this problem. To do this,
- Right click on the icon from AdBlock for Chrome and choose Options.
- In the menu that appears, choose the tab Whitelisted domains.
- Check that youtube.com is whitelisted. If not, add it to the list.
- Also check if you are using custom lists for ad blocking.
As you can guess, this step will turn off YouTube ad blocking. But, if you are sure that the AdBlock extension is not involved, you can try the other methods that we have covered.
You are trying to watch a restricted / sensitive video
There are two YouTube settings that can cause the black screen to appear: Not available in your country and The uploader did not make this video available. These two settings are at the discretion of the uploader and we have also recommended a few workarounds. These issues can cause the black screen to appear.
Solution: Confirm your age.
You can refer to the following articles to find detailed tutorials on how to resolve these issues.
How to get rid of the error “YouTube is not available in your country"?
How to get rid of the “Sender did not make this video available” error.
So if the problem is due to the above mentioned issues then you have the solution. Having said that, the issue can also occur if you are not signed in but want to watch a video with age restricted access. In this case, the only solution is to log in and confirm your age!
You have logged in to your YouTube account
Rather, it is a mysterious mistake that apparently has an impractical solution. As you can guess, having logged into the account may be the reason for the black screen you are seeing. There's no official reason why this is happening, however.
Solution: Log into your YouTube account.
You already know it.
Just log out of YouTube by clicking on the Account button in the upper right corner.
Now try to reload the video and you should be able to get rid of the black screen.
There is a problem with Adobe Flash Player
You may still be using Adobe Flash Player to play the videos on YouTube. Therefore, issues related to Adobe Flash Player can also cause the YouTube videos black screen problem. In this case, you can just follow the next solution.
Solution: Reinstall Adobe Flash Player.
- Uninstall Adobe Flash Player from your computer
- Reinstall Flash Player from a reliable source.
- Once you are installed and up and running, check if the problem remains.
This should fix the problem if Flash Player is the cause.
You have enabled hardware acceleration
Hardware acceleration is a technique used by web browsers to improve the quality of video playback. As you can guess from the name, external hardware is used for this purpose. However, this technique can sometimes cause black screen on youtube.
Solution: Disable hardware acceleration in chrome: // flags /.
You just need to turn off hardware acceleration. However, the method depends on the type of player you are using on YouTube. It can be a Flash player or an HTML5 player. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open your Chrome browser and go to chrome: // flags /
- Look for hardware acceleration
- If it is enabled, disable it.
This should disable hardware acceleration in the HTML5 player, reducing the chance of errors.
You can also turn off hardware acceleration in Flash Player, in case you use it. To do this, the task is simple: just right click on the Flash Player interface and turn off hardware acceleration in the menu.
These two steps will help you get rid of the black screen problem.
Various solutions to remove YouTube black screen issue
We have already shown you some of the detailed solutions to get rid of black screen problem on YouTube.
- You must update your web browser to the latest version. Certain types of bugs and glitches in the browser can cause YouTube errors like this one.
- You can also try to use other web browsers. The error can also be due to a particular error in a single browser. In this case, you can use another browser for YouTube consumption.
- Take a look at browser extensions and any add-ons you have installed. Make sure nothing is negatively impacting YouTube viewing. You can find out by playing the same video in Incognito mode, where extensions don't work.
- Scan your computer using antivirus programs to make sure that no adware is hiding there. Certain types of adware are known to alter YouTube playback screen with advertisements.
These are the basic steps. If they don't work, the detailed tutorials will surely help you.
The last line
These are some of the most effective methods to fix YouTube black screen. We recommended around 10 methods in total, including major and minor methods. You will surely find a good solution in the list above. If you know of any other solution, let us know in the comments section.
- How to Watch Movies Offline Without Internet on Your iPhone or iPad 2021?
- Easily activate YouTube using Youtube.com/activate
- How To Fix iPhone That Won't Play YouTube Videos! Here is the solution.
- How to watch YouTube videos that are not available in your country [5 easy solutions].
- How to Delete All Website Data on iPhone 12 Safari Browser